View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Ch.r.ls M.u.lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Of course you can make deal, but be advised that if you do, you will not “get a deal”. Dealers are in it to make money. So, if presented with that opportunity, they may accept a trade plus cash. In my experience, many dealers will value their card at market and then value your card at less than market and ask for cash to make up the shortfall. While I hate this; I understand and respect it. They want to sell a card for $X. You have a card worth less than $X, which is a lesser card, and you are willing to put in cash. They want to get their $X out of the card they are selling and if they are going to take back a lesser card, then they need to make money on that too- bc it’s more work and it would have been easier to just sell the card for $X or even a bit less than $X.

I take cards with me all the time to shows. I have sold some and I have traded some - sometimes to other show attendees. But the dealer almost always get the better end, which is fine. For this reason, take cards of yours that have appreciated.

One side note - there is a room full of collectors, most of whom are attendees and not dealers, but all of whom can be trade partners. Make connections and see if you can make deals with attendees, there or more likely down the line. Just do not do that in front a dealer’s booth, as thats poor form to cut deals with someone else in a dealer’s own shop
Ah, yeah the bolded makes sense. Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!