View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Just my opinion, but if a guy is a Hall of Famer then I don't concern myself with whether he got in on the first try or the 20th try or what vote percentage he got. There's no "first ballot wing" and their vote totals aren't on the plaques. Rivera to me isn't more of a HOFer because he was unanimous. It's more like, how could anyone not vote for him? The fact that writers found insane logic to not vote for others in the past doesn't mean that same logic should be applied to future elections. And it doesn't make Rivera a better player than the HOFers who were elected before him. In my mind, the vote totals are more of a reflection on the voting body than the players they're voting on. I'm admittedly a big Hall guy, I think a HOF with 20 guys in it would be pretty boring. So I try to recognize that there's varying degrees of greatness. Sure, compared to Aaron, Mantle, Mays... the big guns...most everyone falls short. But if compared to 6 or 7 thousand other players, you're the best in the room, well, I'm totally ok with those guys getting a plaque.