View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 08:58 AM
J0hn Collin$

This is one of those BS nuances that makes many old school collectors hate professional grading. In short, whether they are digitally measuring, hand measuring, or not measuring - this is part of the ebb and flow of grading - and especially with PSA. It's not uncommon for the same card to be sent in 3 times and be called trimmed once, an N6 Min Size no holder once, and then to be slabbed a PSA 6. I've seen it happen with my own eyes. PSA claiming any kind of consistency competence with this kind of thing (I have not seen where they do...) would be utterly laughable.

If you have a card in your collection that you've either had since it was in a pack, or came from a source where you know beyond the shadow of a doubt it was not trimmed or altered, then I don't see why that provenance is not at least as good as PSA's slipshod judgment when it comes to what is or is not "Min Size". There was no "Min Size" with vintage cards back in the day; the concept did not exist. It's just a fallacy that PSA invented to throw another twist into the murky and sometimes ill-defined world of "professional" grading. SGC from what I can tell is at least marginally more lenient in this area. Size differences, especially of 1/32 of an inch or less on vintage cards - are incredibly common if you are paying attention. How PSA treats these at least in some circumstances doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited by jchcollins; 05-19-2022 at 09:07 AM.