View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Default Anyone know anything about an ebay buyer-seller

Posted By: Joe P.

Serious aficionados, I like the takes, I like the various views from the Bridge.
First of all, let me say hello to Scott G. Matt, Julie, Nick, Ryan, and any other of my fellow crazies that might join in this session of the price of rice in China.
Whether we realize it or not, we're touching on several different things.
Such as the first Latin ball players to play on our shores.
The first black ball players to play Pro ball.
The terminology Major Leagues was a lattar day invention during the course of the evolution of baseball in the US.
And also that the 1909 Model T and the Ford Mustangs were regarded as cars even though they were build decades apart.

Let me touch on a common mistake that is made by some sellers and buyers of Latin baseball.
The teams that played baseball in the northern part of South America, Central America and the Islands of the Caribbean, never considered themselves as the Negro Leagues.
The teams, especially in the Islands were made up of all the colors of the rainbow.
They were black, white with blue eyes, Taino indians, or players with a multi cultural mixture.
In there minds, they were ballplayers.
They played for Cuba, Puerto Rico, Santo Domingo, Venezuela, Columbia, Panama, Mexico etc.
The Negro Leagues was a North American creation, that evolved and was derivative to people like Anson.
It was our baggage and we had to carry it for a while.
If it were not for the Latino leagues, we wouldn't have cards of the Negro League players.

Now that we have established that Island teams were a rainbow team, the original question was who was the first Latino player regardless of pigmintation to play with the known northern professionals of that time?

For a long time many of the talking heads of baseball believed that Abner Doubleday invented the game.
You know something, let me get the hell out of here and go to bed.

This program is now being returned to all my fellow crazies of The Twilight Zone.

Jose El Loco