View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 06:44 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Now that's a different animal. From my limited experience there is no simple across the board answer to that. Generally OPC goes for more but given the relative size differences of the sets in the 1960s-1970s (Topps is usually a one series 132 card issue while OPC is usually at least two series), there are people who collect one or the other. There are also condition issues. Early OPC used some lousy cardboard and terrible cutters compared to Topps (see the two 1969s I posted above), so I tend to see more OPC cards with production flaws. 1970s OPC used better cardboard than Topps IMO (I like the light chipboard vs. the dark stuff Topps used) but the same crappy cutters, so rough edges and weak corners are commonplace.

The OPC Ryan has a way nicer stock than the 71 Topps

(see what I mean) but cruddy edges, corners and centering comparatively speaking.
Great info again, Adam.

I'm surprised you didn't hit on the amount of cards that were produced and sold?
Not that everything you read is true, but I remember reading, because of our population up here compared to your's, the OPC numbers are a lot lower compared to Topps so that is also why OPC cards command a premium?

However, I have seen sales of both Topps and OPC where that doesn't seem to be factored in sometimes but I always assume some people aren't aware of that?