View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
Great Pirates Banner. Do you mind if I ask how you display it?
I have a huge Philadelphia Eagles banner that reportedly hung in Franklin Field that I have struggled to find a way to display. It is very large - approximately 9 feet long, by 6 feet wide at the left side. I hate the idea of using tacks or anything, especially since this is made of a pretty heavy canvas material, and I would worry about damaging/tearing it by hanging that way. I have spoken to a few framers, and they wouldn't touch it due to its size. My latest idea (although a bit ridiculous) is to have 2 large pieces of thin plexiglass made into a sort of giant screwdown case that I could hang on my wall. I have talked to a plexiglass supplier, and my plan was to have 2 large sheets made with screwholes along the edges that I could use to tighten the pieces together, thus sealing the flag inside. Sort of a ridiculous idea, but it might work. Anyway, here is the flag.
That's an awesome Eagles pennant. I have the same problem with displaying mine. Ironically I have considered the same Plexiglas solution. Let me know if you actually attempt it. I have seen Plexiglas shadow boxes used by museums to display oversized tapestries and quilts. I have to believe that would be too cost prohibitive for my budget. I have three large Pirate banners the largest of which is ten foot by four foot. I have all three wrapped in linen around a large cardboard tube. I take them out on opening day and display them in my office for one week. I have an understanding boss and 16 foot ceiling that accommodates their size. All three of mine have grommets that make it easier to display them without risk of damage.