View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 12:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorst75 View Post
This reminds of an issue I ran into recently. I was buying parts for my Honda on ebay. I noticed the seller had a best offer option so I made a lower cash offer. It was automatically declined so I came up a bit; once again declined. I had one offer left so I asked the seller what they were thinking on the price. They got offended and blocked me as a buyer. Confused, I asked them what the deal was but they took my offer so personally that there was no talking them off the ledge. I would've paid their full price but if the seller offers the option for me to make an offer than why take any offer given personally? They don't have to accept my offer but maybe, just maybe give the buyer an idea of the seller's price in mind and work from there. This is why Ebay allows multiple chances to offer. The situation sucked because they had the part I needed and no one else in this country did. The seller had a huge feedback score and a 100% at that so it seemed strange that they never ran into a lower offer???
Good point(s)! And exactly why in the OP's case it was he who started and initiated the negotiation process. As a Seller on Ebay, he should know that when he makes an offer like that to someone who is watching one of his listings, that offer automatically includes the "Make an Offer" option back to him by the potential Buyer/Watcher. Therefore, it most definitely is the start of a negotiation process when he originally sent that offer, whether the Seller intended it to be or not. Why get upset and mad at a potential Buyer/Watcher if that is what your Ebay options limit it you to, and you don't like any of them?

If he truly didn't want to negotiate the price, why didn't he just cancel the auction, or wait till it possibly ran its course with no bidders, and then just relist the item with a BIN or initial auction price of the $35 he said he was willing to take? And if he says he was operating that way to try and sell his item for as much as possible, over his acceptable lowest price, that is great and perfectly fine. But then he shouldn't complain and against someone who is trying on their end to purchase an item for as little as reasonably possible either. Why is he right, and they're automatically wrong?