View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 10:53 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post

Here's why I brought up T213 when you talk about Red Cross. T213-2, T215-2, and T214 have blue captions. What do you make of that.
I make of it that the lithographer who did these and had one of the sets or the set of printing material from the original T206 runs made an aesthetic choice. I would think these are probably all from the same lithographer; ALC or the same partner.

If you are suggesting these blue caption cards are all related at a business level, I am not sure how a L&M brand and a Lorillard's brand would be working together as a department post-breakup, or how the color of the caption serves as a geographic key. During the ATC days (t213-1, T215-1) we know that all brands at a factory are not grouped together in the internal structure, nor does it relate to geographic end distribution. Grouping does not seem to relate to the production system much. For example, Mecca, Tolstoi and Lenox, at the time recently expanding from its launch in the Chicago territory (this is when we find geographic limits on ATC brands - when new brands are being launched and tested, not after decades of distribution), are a department in late 1910 with a shared manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Why aren't the Tri-state East Coast old-timers jumping in and saying, "Rob is wrong, Red Cross, Coupon, and Victory with the blue cations were always there at the Philly Show."
I would suspect this crowd by and large agrees with you that it is a Louisiana regional exclusive - it is the conventional narrative precisely because the old-timers believe this. That, of course, is not evidence.

I have no real opinion as of yet. Primary source material strongly suggests that this was not a regional Louisiana brand, which would make it unreasonable not to examine the traditional claim. I hope to learn the evidentiary basis for the traditional claim. Wherever evidence leads, one should go.