View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
My favorite "modern" set. I was seven (almost eight) when Topps released it. It was the year when I began to really collect baseball cards.
Me too!

Turned 8 in July 1980. My grandfather had been a semi pro ball player in the early 1930’s and really turned me onto collecting baseball cards. Once a week my mom would go over to my grandparents house and he would pick me up from school and go to Thrifty’s for an ice cream cone and a few packs of cards. I was hooked. It didn’t hurt that I lived in Los Angeles and Fernando mania was in full effect the next season.

I think at one point I had 7 Henderson’s, of course none in great shape because I was 8 and my brother was 5. I still have two of them and lucked into a vending box about ten years ago for $125 that produced a Henderson that I sent to PSA and got an 8 on.

Mostly my extras from when I was a kid now in my Dodgers binder:

Untitled

I was always ticked off at pulling FIVE Johnny Oates and only one Steve Garvey. Id later learn that Garvey and others were single print. Anyway, my one Garvey. You can imagine what happened to the Hendersons.

Untitled

Last edited by dodgerfanjohn; 09-19-2021 at 12:38 PM.