View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 06:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Discounterparts...who has the most??

144. Discounterpart (also Willie McCoverage or Ubiquitous Erving)
A player who is featured on one or more other cards (of far lesser value) in the same set containing his rookie card.

There have been a bunch of players featured on multiple cards in their cardboard rookie years (most notably, Willie McCovey on two in 1960 and 'Dr. J' in all of his ABA glory on three in 1972), but a new contestant suddenly emerged and pushed himself into the lead(?)...Roger frickin' Staubach (shout out to anyone whose girlfriend/wife forces you to watch the 'Making The Team' Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders show...even though they're not doing it naked)!!!

He is featured prominently on FOUR separate cards in the 1972 Topps set:

1. Regular card
2. In Action card
3. Passing Leaders card*
4. Super Bowl card

(Here's a screen grab of the quartet from eBay.)

1972staubachcards2.jpg

Does anyone know of a player (from any sport) who has appeared on more rookie year cards in a regular, major set (Bond Bread, etc., does not apply) than that??

*That card made me check out other leaders cards, and holy heck!! The 1971 NFC receptions leader (Tucker on the Giants) had a scant 59, and the AFC leader (Biletnikoff) had only 61. Even with less games back then, those are crazy low numbers. Then again, it was the 'pound the ball into the mud' run-game era.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-28-2021 at 02:55 AM.