View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 04:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I decided to do some research regarding the 1980 Topps Hoops conundrum...I mean, if you think a simple image search is research. My goal was to see what Topps considered these guys at the time - single cards containing three images, or three separate cards.

• First, each panel has it's own number, so three different numbers per card. That's a start. If it was supposed to be a single card, then the entire thing should have a single identifying number.

• Secondly, the packaging (wax pack wrapper, wax pack box) indicates the cards were meant to be separated. Look at the graphics of separation...

1980toppsbasetballboxwrapper.jpg

• Now for the monkey wrench ('spanner' for you Brits). It indicates "24 PICTURE CARDS" in every pack. I don't have an unopened pack handy. Hell, if I did I wouldn't be here, I'd be celebrating my newfound wealth maskless (FREEDOM!!!!!!!!) in a Wing Stop somewhere. So the crux of the issue is this, were there 24 individual 'attached' cards or were there simply 8 (24÷3) total 'attached' cards within the waxy confines of a pack??

- Twenty four would end the debate. Each three panel (triptych?) piece of cardboard would be considered a card that kids could separate into individual elements, if they so desired.

- And if the pieces numbered eight, that would solve it in the other direction. Each separated piece would be a card in and of itself.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.