View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 08:18 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I decided to do some research regarding the 1980 Topps Hoops conundrum...I mean, if you think a simple image search is research. My goal was to see what Topps considered these guys at the time - single cards containing three images, or three separate cards.

• First, each panel has it's own number, so three different numbers per card. That's a start. If it was supposed to be a single card, then the entire thing should have a single identifying number.

• Secondly, the packaging (wax pack wrapper, wax pack box) indicates the cards were meant to be separated. Look at the graphics of separation...

Attachment 498346

• Now for the monkey wrench ('spanner' for you Brits). It indicates "24 PICTURE CARDS" in every pack. I don't have an unopened pack handy. Hell, if I did I wouldn't be here, I'd be celebrating my newfound wealth maskless (FREEDOM!!!!!!!!) in a Wing Stop somewhere. So the crux of the issue is this, were there 24 individual 'attached' cards or were there simply 8 (24÷3) total 'attached' cards within the waxy confines of a pack??

- Twenty four would end the debate. Each three panel (triptych?) piece of cardboard would be considered a card that kids could separate into individual elements, if they so desired.

- And if the pieces numbered eight, that would solve it in the other direction. Each separated piece would be a card in and of itself.
Why does it make any difference what Topps says or thinks if the entire hobby considers the cards complete as unseparated, three-panel cards? I dare you to name me even one (sane) dealer/seller that would ever think or pause to even consider for an instant separating a Bird rookie card panel from the other two perforated card panels it originally came attached with, before selling it. They might have acquired it already separated, but they sure as hell aren't going to be stupid enough to separate a complete three-panel card to sell the Bird rookie panel all by itself. Unless the other two panels are written on or damaged in some way as to make the overall three panel card virtually worthless otherwise.

Regardless of what Topps may have originally said when first issued, the hobby has pretty much dictated that a complete card from this set is only considered as such if it contains all three unseparated panels. Go online and look up the checklist for this set. I think it is more often shown as the complete three-panel cards, as opposed to the separated mini cards. I always say to follow the money, and in this case, separating the mini cards from their original three-panel cards severely reduces their value. That alone should tell you despite what Topps may have or originally thought or intended for these mini cards, the hobby has dictated that a complete card is all three unseparated panels.

And this isn't exactly an unprecedented occurrence in regards to trading cards either. Look at the 1941 Double Play set. They showed two players per card, but each player had their own unique card number, just like these '80-'81 Topps mini card panels. And just like the '80-'81 Topps basketball cards, you occasionally come across '41 Double Play cards where someone had cut them in half and separated the players into their own, unique mini cards. But in all cases like with the '80-'81 basketball cards, separating them is considered to damage the cards, and severely reduce their value. The only difference is the Double Play cards did not have a factory provided perforation. But again I say to follow the money in determining what is considered a complete and unique card in both of these sets, and hands down and without a doubt, it is only the unseparated cards/panels that are considered as complete and unique cards.

And here's one more argument going back even further, the S74-1 white version silks that originally came with paper/cardboard advertising backs attached. The advertising backs clearly stated they were to be removed, and the silks then used to be sewn into and make pillows, slip covers, whatever. Sort of along the same lines as you saying Topps implied their '80-'81 basketball cards were supposed to be separated into mini panel cards, except for the silks there was no mere implication as to their intended use and removal of the advertising backs, it was flat out printed on the back of each and every S74-1 white silk. And yet, in today's hobby, do true silk collectors go by and collect the white version silks based on what their manufacturer/distributor said/implied was to be done with them......hell no! To really collect the most valuable white silks, you want them complete and unused in any sewing and other projects, AND with advertising backs still attached. SGC won't even grade S74-1 white silks anything but "A" for authentic if they're missing the advertising backs.

So why should '80-'81 Topps basketball cards be treated any differently than these earlier sets, and each three-panel card not be considered as a complete, unique card, as they are obviously looked at and considered by a vast majority of today's hobby world? So put the monkey wrench back in your tool box before you accidentally hurt yourself.