Thread: Latest Pickups
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 03:19 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I snagged it at auction off eBay, $51.11 after shipping and taxes. Which is too much for a track card in a very weak 5 (one of the corners appears to have an indent/crease). H2-30 is a tougher back but usually doesn’t carry a premium, there are some oddly rare Hassan combinations but Sedley is a normal one. Was hoping it would go cheaper but I’m a happy camper, can’t wait to crack it out and unify the complete set. 9 total T218’s to go, I’ll be very happy to get one card a year at this point.
It is odd how many non-Olympians are included in the swimming and track in this set. Sedley is one of them. I do not collect cards, but I have been very tempted to pick up some of these as they are nice looking. I have original photos of almost all of the Olympians in the set. At least from what I can tell - Hartranft, Eller, Flanagan, McGrath, J. Sullivan M. Sheppard, M Sheridan, Hillman, C M Daniels, Ewry, Ruddy, Platt Adams, SP Gillis (last name misspelled on card), Riley, Pilgrim, Porter, Bacon, H Wilson, Crowley, Lawson Robertson, Budd and Kiviat. I have also had the signatures of many of them and currently have Hillman, Robertson and Kiviat. Kiviat was the last living person in that set from what I know. He died in 1991. Kiviat and Platt Adams played in the demonstration baseball games during the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm, Sweden. Adams pitched for a mixed team which included members of the Vösteras Bäsboll Klubb. He did not fare so well, giving up four runs in the first inning. Kiviat played shortstop for the U.S. team going 2 for 4, including a triple, and stole a base.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”