View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Pee Wee Wanningers contract the year Gehrig pinch hit for him to begin the streak

Pee Wee Wanninger played 6 years for St. Paul. He's an interesting footnote to the two longest consecutive games played streaks behind Ripken.

Cal Ripken holds the all-time record for consecutive games played with 2,632. Second on the list is Lou Gehrig with 2,130; third is Everett Scott with 1,307. Pee Wee Wanninger is tied to both men directly behind Ripken.

In the 1925 season a 32-year old Scott was slipping at shortstop and at the plate. When Yankee manager Miller Huggins saw fit to bench Scott and end the streak, he turned to the rookie Wanninger. On May 5th, 1925 Wanninger started in place of Scott to end what is still the third longest run in MLB history.

Four weeks later Huggins called on 22-year old Lou Gehrig to pinch hit for Wanninger in what would be the start of Gehrig’s own streak.

Here is Wanninger’s player’s contract for the 1925 season in which he helped stop and start two of baseball’s most prolific consecutive games streaks. The front page is also signed by Hall of Fame executive Ban Johnson.

Each of the names that have link that directs to their pages on my website. It's got autographs of all but three Hall of Famers who debuted in the big leagues since 1900. There are also almost 300 other pages with autographs of guys not in Cooperstown. Thanks for looking.

I hope everyone stays healthy,.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wanniger-contract-447x1024.jpg (41.4 KB, 418 views)