View Single Post
Old 07-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrun7 View Post
$40 for the full PDF but well worth it if you get more into MLB jerseys.

https://gamewornguides.com/
Thank you, the book look like a great reference book after I read through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I second this, Bill Henderson's book is worth every cent. Lays out tagging, styles, patches, etc for every team.

Check out the Facebook groups, MLB Game Used, MLB/MiLB Game Used Bats-- Buy, Sell and Trade. A lot of the most trusted experts and collectors hang around there and are very helpful.

Sorry, I can't recommend a Photo Matching service, never used one, they can get very expensive. Try Getty Images to try to photo match an item yourself. A good photo match is always better than a COA from anyone.
Thank you for the recommendations but I don't do facebook since my wife died still because of certain memories.

Now I will have to try looking over Getty Images but it would seem the older items have to be really hard to find pictures let alone getting them to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
You can easily search and go through the archives of REA, Hunt, Lelands, Grey Flannel, Mears, Huggins, SCP, Heritage and the others. This is especially helpful with regard to tagging (which can differ year-by-year).

For example, the 1970s and 80s Reds used Wilson and Rawlings, and the tags could be in the neck, inner tail, or outer tail, depending on the year. Same holds true for many other teams. The 1960s Dodgers used 5 different manufacturers... Spalding, McAuliffe, Rawlings, Goodman and McGregor. It varied year by year, so checking auction archives and prices realized is a very helpful tool.

The other resources mentioned above are also very helpful. But you have a completely free wealth of knowledge at your fingertips with the internet as well.
Thank you, I have used Heritage to search on many items before, their site makes it easy to search for past items as reference. Some of those other companies sites are as easy to navigate or go through, but your right, it is a great free reference if I can find what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Also of note - just because the athlete autographed an item and he (or someone else) wrote "game used" on the item, such as a bat, jersey, cleats/shoes, or batting gloves does NOT make it so.

There is a prominent, active professional athlete in Atlanta who has been doing this for the last few months with his items, even though there is zero chance that the items could have been game used. (Some of the items were actually made AFTER the Covid pandemic shut down sports.)

Bottom line - be smart and educate yourself and trust the seller's history and reputation. We have an Atlanta-area seller on Facebook who is knowing selling this player's material to unsuspecting buyers, even though I and others have pointed out to him that the items cannot possibly have been used in an actual game.

Buyer beware.
I appreciate the note: But a question, what about when you see the players name or number written on the tags on the inside of pants or jerseys, how much weight does that hold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
I wouldn't waste my time on Game Used Universe website. That place is a joke. Crickets over there Years ago when Chris Cavalier had it, it was great. People on there all the time with questions and answers for you, a great buy and sell section to. I ended up with 10 or 15 bats over the years from there. Now its worthless since Ken Goldin took it over promoting his auctions on there. Used to be a good website but went down the tubes in my opinion. Every now and then somebody will post something new.
Thank you for that info as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Agree, haven't posted there in a while. Once Goldin took over, they ran it into the ground.