View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 03:24 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Bob, I don’t know the answer to your query. But for a long time, the e102 was considered Cobb’s rookie; the hobby no longer considers it as such. I think that mid-designation has given the e102 Cobb a little extra cache
Oh, I agree 100% Ryan. It's just that assuming a card of Cobb, only a few years into his career, is his rookie card, is waaaayyyyy less absurd than anyone ever assuming a card of Ruth's in his 19th season in the big leagues, is really his rookie card. Yet Beckett touted that it was his rookie card in their price guide publications for years. And let's face it, those Beckett price guides were a huge factor in the sudden growth and expansion of the baseball card hobby and industry in the 80's-90's, and still through today. I remember that for a lot of people, those Beckett guides were like their Bible, and they believed, followed, and worshipped everything in them. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out there are quite a few people that still to today think the Goudeys are Ruth's rookie cards because of Beckett.

And even though many people eventually learned, discovered, realized that the '33 Goudeys were truly not Ruth's rookie cards, I have to believe a lot of the impact and demand for them from once being considered his rookies still continues and carries over till today. Despite us now knowing better, that perceived value for his Goudey cards has continued and carried on, as illogical as it otherwise really may be.