View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Default Plancich....Two Requests

Posted By: PaulPaulPaul

I'm not going to take sides on anyone's expertise because I know nothing about the subject. But Bill raised a point that I think should be displayed in neon lights.

He says that the phrase "game used Ty Cobb bat" does not mean that Ty Cobb used the bat. This may be common knowledge among the few bat collectors who specialize in these big ticket items. But it is certainly not common knowledge among those who might buy a lesser item like a "game used Willie McCovey bat." It is also probably not common knowledge among what has become a major portion of the market for big ticket memorabilia -- the Billy Crystals and Charlie Sheens of the world.

Now, I don't feel sorry for Billy Crystal, etc., if they spend a quarter million without doing their homework. On the other hand, the phrase "game used Ty Cobb bat" is downright deceptive to the vast majority of the public, even if a few insiders know its true meaning. And the deception is aggravated when the seller or authenticator makes public statements that further create the impression that the particular player actually used the bat. That happened with the Cobb bat.

If this ever went to court (and with items this expensive, someday it will), I have very little doubt that no judge or jury would respect industry insider code, and would instead conclude that the seller knowingly exaggerated the authenticity of the item.