View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 01:40 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I'd like to hear more about the "spectrum" idea. I'm not sure what North Korea style enslavement has to do with the discussion, though. I know of no Americans who want to turn the country into North Korea.
And I know of no Americans who oppose all laws and regulations.

I will try to explain the "spectrum" concept, which is basic, if you will try to comprehend.

One extreme position would be to oppose all laws and regulations of all kinds, in the name of absolute personal freedom. No Americans I've ever heard of (besides Manson, maybe) favor this.

The opposite extreme position would be for government to completely own us, like North Korea, where we would have no real personal freedom.

With me so far?

Okay, with those as the endpoints, all of us are in between. That is the "spectrum" we are on. Some of us are closer to one end or the other.

So, a person who favors seat belt and helmet requirements, and vaccination requirements, and facemask requirements, is also more likely to favor increased gun control laws. That doesn't mean they necessarily favor ALL laws, regulations, mandates, but their thinking generally leads them to support such measures.

A person who pushes back on government mandates, whether it be seatbelt or helmet laws, vaccinations, masks, unreasonable or nonsensical gun laws, or things that infringe on individual rights guaranteed under the Constitution, will tend to be on that side of issues.

Tend to be, but not always. For example, I think school infrastructure could include metal detectors to filter out weapons, like knives and guns. I would oppose strip-searching every student on a daily basis. This isn't being inconsistent because it isn't an all-or-nothing scenario. It's my personal opinion that some measures are reasonable while others cross the line. Others will of course disagree, as their view may come from being elsewhere on that "spectrum."