View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 04:35 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Hey Larry, what are the key football, basketball of movie cards in the 48 set ?
Al
The football cards were printed on three different sheets of 36 cards each,(1 4 7 10 etc) (2 5 8 11 etc) and the cards printed on sheet three (numbered 3 6 9 12 etc) are short printed and REALLY tough to find. The Standard Catalog values common SPs at $100 each in NM condition, and I chased them down for years! Key cards #3 SP RC Johnny Lujack; #12 SP RC Charley Conerly; #22 RC Sammy Baugh; #26 RC Bob Waterfield; #36 SP RC Bulldog Turner; #63 SP RC Pete Pihos; #107 Sid Lucian RC; #108 SP RC (last card in the set) Buford Ray.
Look for SP '48 Bowman football cards (numbers divisible by 3) in those bargain bins!

The basketball cards were printed on two sheets (1-36) and (37-72) with the second sheet (high numbers) being difficult to find and short printed. I still need nineteen cards to complete my set, 15 of these are high numbers! The "Holy Grail" of basketball cards (?) #69 George Mikan SP RC (inaugural HOF class '59) I think this is a $1,000 card in LOW grade!

Movie Star cards were printed on one 36 card sheet, so there are no short prints. I don't really know if any are more expensive or not? As with most non-sports cards, I would assume the first (#1 Diana Lynn) and last cards (#36 Ann Blyth) carry a premium. I did notice that the set includes card #17 Yvonne De Carlo who went on to TV fame as Lily Munster wife of Herman Munster LOL!

Larry