View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Default LEW LIPSET - BLOCKED BIDDER

Posted By: Mark

So here's the enlightenment:

In the late 90's, Lew had an auction item up for a minimum bid of $600:
a '13 Reds Yearbook. Being a collector of Armando Marsans, an early Cuban ball player, I automatically had an interest. I requested a scan of the Marsans page. To which, good ol' Lew repsonded: "The yearbook is too fragile."

End of conversation.

Fast forward to '07, on Lew's newly revamped webpage, there it was again,
the same yearbook but now for an out-right sale price of $2K. I again requested a scan of the Marsans page and a couple of days later, I actually received it. WOW, I thought.

Anyways, besides having a deal fall through that would allow me to pony up the cash, I still did not think the yearbook was worth the $2K, so I passed.
Besides, if I was going to lay out $2K, I should be able to at least see what I am buying, no? I do not think that is much of a stretch.

Then comes yesterday's attempt to bid on one of Lew's items - BLOCKED.

So I call the ol' geezer today and before discussing why I was blocked,
he wanted to know why I posted this thread on him; seems he likes to read the Net54. He then claimed that I never had any intention of buying the yearbook and that was why I was blocked from his eBay auctions. Soon there after, before hanging up on me, he did wish me to: "have a good life." -
That was thoughtful.

I tried to call him back - but he did not answer, he might be working on Vol. 4.

Now, I know Mr. Lipset is a hobby icon, his encyclopedias, knowledge, etc. etc. etc. but because of this - he should no get an automatic pass to threat people like ****, at least not me.

And with all his knowledge it is such a waste.

As an aside, I find it funny how brave people are over the telephone or on the computer. I wish I was a bit older and lived out west.

Just another aspect of this hobby, that keeps me ever closer to jumping ship.

Not a contestant & Movin' on

Mark