View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 11:06 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I’m not sure what you think should be the prevailing sentiment? Should everyone be depressed and boycott the entire hobby because there are some shady people doing shady stuff?

Of course I am pissed! That being said this is a hobby for me and most people here and it is essentially an escape from my stressful daily life. I always have and always will enjoy my cards, regardless of the fact that there are douche-bags in the world. Brent and others will not take my enjoyable hobby away from me as I would still collect if the cards had little to no value.

I think a lot of people are changing the way they collect because of this debacle and that is probably a good thing. Eventually this will “blow over” in some way but exactly what that means remains to be seen. Personally I would love for Brent and others to be persona non grata in the hobby and not be part of it but again time will tell.

For a lot of people the National Convention is their “going fishing with the guys” type of thing that has become a tradition and every year they go and do this and get to leave their cares behind. Why would they not go do their favorite thing because some people are a**holes?
I think you nailed it right here. You can't let a few bad people ruin the entire hobby for everyone. If you enjoy collecting, collect. Just have to do it with a little more scrutiny. Of course this scandal doesn't affect EVERY single area of the collecting world either. If this scandal bothers you that much that it makes you want to quit.... great. I'll stand behind you 100%. But if someone chooses to continue collecting despite the scandal, I think that is great too. What is confusing to me is members that claim they are no longer going to collect cards but continue to come to this forum and spew hatred for the hobby. If you aren't collecting cards anymore, I would think coming here would be a waste of time unless you are more interested in the drama than the actual cards themselves?