View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Default OT: What is the best baseball game you ever attended?

Posted By: Al

Two games come to mind, both in Fenway Park and both Red Sox vs Yankees.

Mid '50s I'm at a game with my dad. We always seemed to get seats to the left of the Red Sox bullpen in that little triangular area under the 420' sign. I was standing at the seat closest to the field, kinda hanging onto the railing. Jackie Jensen hit a deep fly ball and Mickey Mantle scrambled to get it, the ball drops a foot or so from the wall and there was Mantle, maybe 10 feet away from me. I can still see that #7 on the back of his jersey. Quite a thrill for a young kid at the time. He never looked up at my hollering, but I kinda wish he had.

Mid '70s I'm at Fenway with 5 friends. We're sitting almost directly abeam the infamous Pesky Pole about 20 rows up in right field. In front of us are a group of guys, maybe 5 or so. The game goes on and Hensley Mullins of the Yankees hits a ball that lands at the feet of the guys in front of us, bounces under the feet of the guy next to me and goes behind us. Behind us are two dads with their young sons, maybe 6 years old or so. One little kid reaches down but the ball bounces away and two young guys to their right scoop the ball in the scramble from the kid. The kid is now crying and doesn't stop for an inning or two. Try as he might, his dad cannot console the kid. The "group" are now on this young guy and all but threatening a severe ass whipping if he doesn't give the kid the ball. Well, after substantial abuse, the two young guys leave, figuring 10-2 odds aren't too good.
Well, up comes Don Mattingly and incredibly, he hits a fould ball to almost exactly the same spot. The guy in front of me gets the ball, reaches back between me and my buddy and puts the ball in the kids glove!! The kid now lights up like Christmas just came in July. Truly a priceless moment. We all kept telling the kid that he got a great ball because it was a Mattingly ball, not a cheapo Mullins ball. I suspect that kid has treasured that thing to this day. Needless to say, that dad gave the guy who handed his kid the ball a look of deep appreciation for his gesture. The donor drank free beer for the rest of the game. A wonderful Fenway moment.

Been to a lot of Fenway games, all were great to me, win or lose, watching a game in Fenway is something any baseball fan should do at least once. Red Sox lover or hater, Fenway is a magical place.