View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 10:10 AM
Vincent Hecksel

I recently sold an item on eBay and noted in terms (before listing) how the Final selling fee was calculated. Not a fan of how done but do not think unreasonable to conclude that buyers might take inclusion of state sales tax and shipping cost, along with winning bid, into determination of fair value of item. In that case, not unreasonable for eBay to use that logic of fair value to base final selling fee on. Again, I am not a fan of that logic, but accepted it before listing my item.

When I bid in major auctions, I determine my absolute max cost (max fair value) for item, and back out estimated costs for shipping & insurance, state sales tax, and commission to arrive at my max ceiling bid amount. eBay final fee calculation not far removed; except the base final sale fee (commission) after inclusion of all sales costs. Just hope auction houses do not change on amount (before or after sales taxes and shipping/insurance) they base commission on. A change to the later might reduce amount to consignors based on my logic of how I calculate fair value.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 06-27-2021 at 10:12 AM.