View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default For those who have seen Koufax and Score pitch, who do you think was most dominant, in

Posted By: Robert Dimand

No comparison. Koufax way above Score. Gullett may have thrown harder, but his curve wasn't on the same planet. Koufax had the most dominating 5 year run in modern days: 1962-66. Untouchable, led to such famous quotes as:

"Hitting Koufax is like drinking coffee with a fork" - Stargell

"I can see why he won 25 games . What I don't understand is how he lost 5" Berra

"When Sandy Koufax retired" - Willie Stargell's greatest baseball thrill

Certainly some other great single seasons, but Koufax led the league in ERA 5 STRAIGHT seasons. Also pitched 57 innings in the World Series, ERA of 0.95. 4 no hitters.

OK, I am biased. But that is a 5 year stretch that hasn't been beaten, especially when the WS (truly money time) is included. Too bad he blew out his arm doing so.

I recently picked up a DVD of the highlights of the 59, 63 and 65 Dodgers WS victories, a great watch. His 1965 WS record was magical: game 5 a 4 hit shutout, then on 2 days rest, a game 7 a 3 hit shutout, 10K's. In the WS, game 7 no less. I would match that World Series accomplishment against ANY other modern pitcher. Can you tell I was a 10 year old LA kid going nuts?? Too bad Topps didn't do any WS cards for that year.

OK, here is a representative card (and my all time favorite). Again, a few better singular efforts, but not a 5 year run.