View Single Post
Old 12-19-2020, 12:56 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
These are very odd and very ugly for him. Bench is usually a much more careful signer. Unlike the Ryan RC, I've always advocated for having Bench and Tompkins sign at the top of this card for a cleaner aesthetic.

I'm sure you're already aware, but Mr. Tompkins signs this one for $10 which he donates to charity. All other autographs are free of charge. He has a tendency to stack his signature at the top left of his photo. If you want something different in this regard, be sure to specify. He's a very nice person, so chances are he'll comply with whatever your preference may be.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I've seen more than just these two sloppy efforts from Bench as of late, so it's a very safe bet that any TPA has encountered even more of them and will be familiar, especially if you give it a little more time before submitting. It truly does appear that Bench has gotten less careful, but it can't possibly be that. Considering how exacting he has been in signing his name for so long, you have to wonder if maybe it's something like arthritis. He was always a perfectionist with his autograph.
Agreed. Bench has always had a strong, heavy, signature. He just turned 73 years of age and the hands of catchers take a beating. Given his position and age, I would expect his signature to get a tad loose/sloppy. I have a Yogi Berra lithograph, I had him sign and he really looped the bottom of the Y. Given that I witnessed the signing, I know the signature is legit, but it is much different from every other Berra signature in the collection.

To answer your question, no, I don't think Bench ruined the card. I have always taken the way the person signs with a grain of salt. Once the item is in front of them it is theirs to autograph in a way they think best (I am not a location freak). That is what their signature was at that point in time. If it is not clear where to sign, most ask. When signing a Perez-Steele postcard Lou Brock asked "Do you want the Yogi Berra, Lou Brock autograph or the regular autograph?" I have had players start, stop and restart. Start on part of a post card and then realize that the area where they were signing was not ideal and start at another location. I have a Charlie Brown piece where I ask pitchers to inscribe the # of home runs they gave up lifetime. It is a fun piece. Most pitchers don't know how many home runs they gave up over their career. Whitey Ford said "Hmm, I thought the number would have been higher." I asked Steve Carlton to inscribe 414 HRs, I even had the number written down on a piece of paper. Carlton inscribed 415 HRs. When he realized his error, he made a mathematical equation subtracting 1 and wrote "Sorry with a sad face". Did he ruin the poster? I don't think so. I think it is awesome!

Last edited by Huck; 12-19-2020 at 01:16 PM.