View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Default Which Grading Company Is Most Reputable

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

With all due respect, my post was meant to be interpreted as my opinion, given to the original poster of this thread about reputable grading companies. However, I'm not sure there was much hyperbole in my statement, nor was it meant to be any sort of indictment of PSA. And there certainly was no "advertising" in my statement, it was my opinion as a collector of graded cards.

Edited version of a longer post:

PSA has an 8 or 9-year head start on SGC. Typical pre-1930 Ebay listings have a PSA-to-SGC ratio of between 2:1 and 4:1 (it's a little heavier now, due to last week's ten-cent listing day). Total T206 populations run less than 5:1 PSA-to-SGC. A company would need to have some serious momentum - perhaps even "ownership" of the market - to close a 9-year gap that quickly.

Again, I use PSA for prewar cards, too. I use SGC for some postwar cards. Depends on what I'm collecting and how I've chosen to collect it. I have no problem with either company.

Certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, and sorry for the thread hijacking.

-Al