Thread: Bat questions
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Default Bat questions

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I just purchased a small group of bats at a local auction that included the two bats scanned below that I have questions about (the rest of the bats were junk, and these might be too, but for the price I paid, I couldn't pass them up). The first one scanned is a Louislville Slugger 40 T.C. Hillerich & Bradsby CO bat with no signature or decal on the barrel. Is it a Ty Cobb store model bat? If so, does anyone know the approximate age? Is it a decal bat (obviously completely missing the decal, although there does appear to be some greenish paint residue on the barrel) or signature model? I will try to take better pictures tomorrow or Monday but hopefully someone can help from these scans. It is about 35 inches long and there is nothing stamped on the knob.
The second bat is even more of a mystery to me. It is a Louislville Slugger 125 Hillerich & Bradsby Powerized signature model featuring Tom Casagrande(?). When I googled Tom, his 1955 Topps card came up (the front shows he was a pitcher for the Phillies) but I could not find him on Baseball reference.com in either the major or minor league indeces. Does anyone know if he ever played in the majors or if I am reading the name correctly? It is about 36 inches long and D 89 is stamped on the knob.
Thank you very much to everyone who helped me with previous questions on this board! The knowledge willingly shared here is incredible. Any further information concerning either of these bats would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]