Thread: Bat questions
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Default Bat questions

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Thanks Mike and John! I figured Casagrande must never have played in the majors, and I was trying to figure out why there would be a store model bat for him, but your responses make sense. It might have never been used in a game, but was most likely ordered for him in the minors.
I am also very glad to hear about the Cobb. I purchased these and a few other smaller bats in a lot at a local auction yesterday evening, but I had to make a deal in order to acquire them at a somewhat reasonable cost. When I arrived at the auction for preview, I spotted a friend/competitor looking at the bats and we struck a deal that I hope not to regret. He agreed not to bid against me in return for two of the bats in the lot. Both were either Spaulding or Louisville signature models signature models (I forget which) and one was Hornsby (with a good chunk of the barrel missing but a readable name) and the other we could not read. To do this deal we decided on about a 60/40 split as he wanted the TC bat more than any other (like I did). I was torn as I could have had the other two bats instead, but I stuck with the Cobb and the remainder of the lot. I asked the auction house to place the lot up early because of the weather, and to my astonishment I won the lot for 20.00! Because I won the lost so cheaply, he ended up paying half of what I paid to the auction, so I got the Cobb, Casagrande, an Eddie Matthews Little League Bat plus a small early Superiuor label bat for about 12.00. I was pretty happy although I am curious as to what others might have done in that situation. Obviously, seeing the Hornsby and the other player bat would help, but please let me know what you would have done in my place. He and I probably would have bid each other up over 100.00 for the lot if we did not work together.
Thanks again,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com