View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default What type of T206 back collector are you?

Posted By: Nathan

Taylor was a deaf baseball player...I chose to collect him for two reasons - I am deaf as well and love the T206 set. It gave me a focus in that area.

Luther "Dummy" Taylor from baseball reference...

He was a favorite of the Giants' John McGraw, perhaps because he could not talk back. McGraw learned the rudiments of signing so he could communicate with Taylor from the bench. They were sharing opinions of Tim Hurst's umpiring one day without knowing the arbiter had a deaf relative and was also proficient in signing. Hurst ejected them both.

Taylor went 18-27 for New York in 1901, leading the NL in losses, games, starts, and hits allowed. He started the 1902 season with Cleveland but returned to the Giants, and went 21-15 for them in 1904. He compiled a 51-30 record from 1905 to 1908. He later joined the staff of the Illinois School for the Deaf.
=========
Now, there's a new deaf pitcher in the wings that might make to MLB someday soon. His name is Ryan Ketchner and he is a lefthander in AAA. I'm sure as Ryan gets closer to the majors, Luther Taylor's name will come up a bit more.

There have been others like William "Dummy" Hoy, Richard Sipek (1945) and Curtis Pride playing other positions.
========
Of course, I'm always looking for the other cards so if you can help, let me know.

Nathan