View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default A question regarding the Mastro trimmed card thread

Posted By: jackgoodman

Ok, it's early here on the West Coast, so excuse my rambling manner.

I was thinking about the recent Mastro thread that outed the trimmed card in their current auction. And it got me thinking.

If I were the consignor (and I'll assume the consignor was innocent of doing the actual trimming, for purposes of this comment), should I be upset with Mastro about their adding the additional comment on my card? Should that "upset" result in my pulling that card from their consignment as well as all other cards I consigned to them?

I mean, I gave them a card graded by one of the reputable grading companies, and rather than list the card as graded, they have decided to add their opinion of that grade. Is that their place to do?

And if so, should every auction house now add an additional line to the description of every graded card they ever auction that reads: "We agree with the grade assigned to this card" or "we do not agree with the grade assigned to this card for the following reasons."

I mean, we have all discussed the fact that trimming is most often an opinion that can differ from grading company to grading company and individual to individual. In this case, the card was submitted graded. I would frankly be very upset if the auction house took it upon themselves to probably cost me substantial dollars by adding their opinion.

From the prior thread discussion, it seems everyone is pleased with the action taken by Mastro. Would you still be pleased if they had decided to add their opinion to a card you had consigned? Does any of the above make sense?