View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default Irrational Exuberance Low Number High Grade 1933 Goudeys

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Not to disparage anyone, but if I were in business and someone asked me if I would guarantee that my products would pass muster with a person who has no affiliation with any recognized business or regulatory entity in my industry, I would politely tell that person to pound sand. My next-door neighbor knows a lot about cars, but I'm pretty sure that Toyota isn't going to let me return my SUV if he doesn't like it. It doesn't mean my neighbor isn't extremely knowledgeable - perhaps even more knowledgeable than some of the people who work for Toyota - but unfortunately, he does not have the qualifications to make that judgement, regardless of how much he knows.

Not to speak for any auction houses, but I'm pretty sure that the grading company holders in which their cards reside is the authentication that they offer. And while they do occasionally make mistakes and differ in their interpretations of various forms of "alteration," I'm more confident in their opinions with respect to authentication, alteration detection, and overall grading than I am of the opinions of most other people. After all, the average grader evaluates more cards in a day or two than most of us see in several months' time. My point: the grading company offers the peace of mind that most of us are seeking. And while altered cards certainly get into holders, my impression is that incrementally more altered cards are rejected. There are certainly holes in the system, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Wild West it used to be.

Not to disparage anyone else, but Bruce, there's no need to sound so envious of the astute, savvy collector investors. They make just as many mistakes as you do, albeit on a grander scale since they invest so much more in the hobby than you or I.

-Al

edited for more clarity and to sound less disparaging.