View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Default Irrational Exuberance Low Number High Grade 1933 Goudeys

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I don't know that anyone participating in this thread is out to cut anyone down to size.

The thread began as a statement on high-grade Goudeys and the direction shifted when Kevin and Jim stated that they would not buy from an auction house due to altered cards in holders being sold there. Jim made a statement that he would not buy cards from anyone who would not let Kevin give his seal of approval, and that began a very enlightening thread where, inbetween unnecessary (IMO) jabs at Jim and his unwillingness to resubmit his cards, we discussed the relative merits of regrading graded cards.

It was - and is - my opinion that there are lots of knowledgeable people out there when it comes to the topic of alterations. However, in my opinion the grading companies already serve as the independent evaluator of whether a card is good or not. Each of us can make our own decisions as to which of those companies we trust and which we don't. However, the point that I and (I think) others were trying to make had nothing whatsoever to do with the degree to which Kevin actually possesses the competency to do what Jim is suggesting. The point was that the grading companies have established their credibility and their brands over the course of a decade of providing this service, evaluating cards, lending their expertise in many different situations, and holdering literally millions of cards of all shapes and sizes, years and varieties. The question, at least in my mind, was whether it is a realistic expectation that one person - regardless of who it is - should have an opinion that trumps that of those companies who have (mostly) built their credibility over such a long period of time.

In Kevin's defense, he never claimed in this thread that he should - that claim was Jim's, and I don't think he intended to throw Kevin to the wolves with his statements. At the same time, however, Kevin has mentioned on this board as well as the other board that he IS planning to create a business where he actually DOES apply his seal of approval to already-graded cards. Given that, I do think it's entirely acceptable for people to question his credentials - just like he and others question the credentials of the graders. But I do feel that the questions are legitimate, particularly when there are multiple statements being made and examples being shown that call into question the credentials and competence of others.

Edited to remove a statement that could be viewed as insulting, because that's not my intent.

-Al