View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default Leap of Faith -- what is YOUR jumping off point

Posted By: James Gallo

Liek many others I buy mostly mid grade stuff or lower. I don't get into the high end stuff much yet, so most of my stuff is in the 2-5 range.

That being said Cracker Jacks are probably the only early cards where I feel a high level of comfort and could buy raw with ease even on ebay.

Anything else I want is slabbed, from a rock solid source or in a collection.

I have been badly burned on both PSA and GAI Cracker Jacks where the cards had issues not seen or described in the ebay auctions. This was only twice but I took a 2 grade hit on both cards and they went from 4's to 1.5 and I am still stuck with them.

As such I would never have a problem buying a SGC card. I will ask further questions about pre-war PSA stuff and I will never ever ever buy a GAI card unless I see it in person. This was my opinion long before all the recent mess.

As far as auto's go, well I don't buy too many of them and most of what I have I got myself so I know they are all right from the player.

I do find it interesting that one of the previous posters preferred PSA or GAI coa's on auto's with no mention of JSA. JSA was close to me so I used them on most of my stuff. I don't follow that market close enough but would people really doubt things with JSA coa's? Then again every now and then I hear about bad stuff that has a GAI or PSA coa as well, so I am not sure where I would be on that and I would have to do a lot more research or buy something like a check or directly from the player.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.