View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default M116 and T206 Connection

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I have just read Tim Newcomb's excellent M116 article in Old Cardboard and it has triggered something that may or may not make sense. I e-mailed Tim about it and he has to think on it a bit. Anyway, it goes something like this....

I am wondering if there is any connection between T206/ATC ads being dropped by Sporting Life (interestingly, a Philadelphia based magazine) after 9/18/09 and portraits being pulled from the 150 series in T206. Is it possible that in an attempt to freeze out ATC, Sporting Life bought exclusive rights from Carl Horner for some portraits, which resulted in several cards/players being pulled outright from the 150 (and maybe 150/350) series of T206 and resulting in others being issued in alternate, non-portrait poses in the 350 runs of T206? I'd have to do more research but it suddenly seems possible to me, especially as the Wagner and Plank portraits are the same in M116 and T206. The 350 back Planks are a bit of a wild card but perhaps some legal tussling occurred that occasioned ATC to reintroduce Plank for a short run in 1910.

Also, any idea if the Owners of Sporting Life had a connection with American Caramel? The Philly connection is looming larger and larger and this is all wild ass guesswork right now but I want to get your thoughts folks. The Philly connection likely screwed up the 1951 Topps Major League All Stars too. Funny how in 2009, Philly still wants to kick NYC's butt like it was 100 years ago.