Thread: 1935 Wheaties
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 02:49 PM

Default They are not cards, never were cards

and are simply cut from cereal boxes. I'm guessing that TPAs do not want anything to do with them unless there is more profit to it. I was born in 1930 and never had access to the 1935 issue, but the later years featuring the players with yellow and orange backgrounds were beautiful on the grocery shelf. My family went shopping on Saturday night, and I would beg my mother to get me the Charlie Gehringer, Tommy Bridges or even Joe Dimaggio, but no and never, she would get Corn Flakes or some other cheaper product. Worse, the radio broadcast of Detroit Tiger games featured heavy advertising with Ty Tyson telling us that "Wheaties, the Breakfast of Champions" could do the same for me constantly reminded me of my bad choice of parents.

In 1939 Wheaties had a special Centennial run of about 8 different boxes. I couldn't even persuade my mother to get these. Since, however, I have collected all of the Gehringer backs. Most desirable (at least for me) is a full back panel. A full box (not Gehringer) recently went on eBay for several hundred dollars, and there are auction records of huge lots.