Thread: Mile High Wins
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default Re: Late Bids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_cvc View Post
Sorry Ed, I missed your post. It was unusual, as I feel Mile High usually gets great prices.
Hey Jeff, no worries .. kidding on the frustrated consignor quip. I agree, unusual to get bid up that late, but I have seen it. I've gone to bed seemingly late into the game (2am or thereabouts) thinking I was good, no overtime action on the cards I was in the lead on in quite some time - - then wake up to find otherwise.

I know some auctions go well into the next-day morning hours. I recall reading a few on the forum saying they were outbid at 6, 7am the next day! I'm not sure how many auctions allow the overtime to extend that long? I know much depends on bidders of course, size of the auction, compelling nature of what's being offered, continuous bidding throughout the night and resetting the 15 mins clock, etc. I believe a few auctions have trimmed back the potential for all-nighters - limiting resetting of the clock after a certain time, final warnings, things of that nature. That's been discussed many times on the board.

Anyway, some nice cards won/displayed. I picked up an E97 common (which many of that set are) and another card. Only thing that I keep in mind with Mile High is the league-leading 21.5% buyer's commission and higher s/h rates. Nothing extreme, but nickel & diming on top of high commission leaves bad taste (shouldn't be $10+ for 2 cards at less than $200 even w/ins.)