View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 12:16 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yep. At the end of the day, you play by their rules no matter how inconsistent the decision or even against their stated policy - or you hit the highway. As others have alluded to, until we as a collector base stop putting up with this type of crap en masse, it will continue to happen. I've always had such a love hate relationship with TPG's due to this type of thing. I love a properly graded card in a nice slab, but when they screw up whether with the slab physically, or on stuff that is just obvious even to a novice collector based on grade assigned - I question any faith I ever had in them.

The worst thing that has ever happened to me personally with a slab probably was a '55 Topps Jackie Robinson in a BVG slab. There was a hunk of wood, almost like a splinter - sealed up inside the inner bag on top of the card. I cracked it almost immediately. Miraculously the wood detritus just slid right off, and the card inside - though not high grade to begin with - was no worse for the wear.
One makes you wonder how that got in there to begin with. Same with the pubic hair. I bet if these cards could talk, they could tell us some stories.