View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 12:19 PM
Al Richter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
If the MB cards never came in 1968 Topps packs, I'm not sure how anyone can think they are a variation. Only makes sense to me to call them an independent reprint set, along with the football and car cards that came in the board game. A complete set would be all the cards from the board game; just the baseball would be a subset.
I assume it is because everyone has there own notion of what is or should be a variation and they do not always agree, and there is no hobby standard.

I personally agree they are not variations, and am ok with calling them reprints or a parallel set, but I think the hobby has ruled otherwise on Cox and Brinkman, so I keep a second copy of their MB cards in my 68 set as well as in my MB set

I also agree that they are a subset, but SCD and Lemke have listed several Topps baseball subsets independent of the other non baseball subjects in such sets in The Standard Catalog. I have collected just the baseball subjects listed in the Catalog for the 48 Magic Photos, 55 and 56 Hocus Focus, the 54 Topps Scoops and Look and See, the 63 Great American Stamps and Valentine Foldees ( 63 and 66), the 65 Push Pulls and the 68 MBs.

And there is a variation of the MB checklist. There are 2 versions of the 107. Although Carlton Miller, our resident MB expert would disagree with me on that point. He would say the 2nd CL is card 77 in the set ( subset) and not a variation, I think because it is a DP. I tend to think of DP differences, although not necessarily intended but resulting from set up of the sheet layouts, as variations ( for example the 2 different 52 Mantles, Robinsons and Thompsons). I understand not all would agree, and that's ok with me. I am not sure anyone has a monopoly on what constitutes a real variation. Ultimately I guess the hobby as a whole decided over time

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-27-2020 at 12:42 PM.