View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 09:22 PM

Default 1985 Subway Discs Master Checklist

I never paid much attention to 1985 Subway Discs, I just figured that they were identical to 1985 Thom McAn Discs except they were blank backed and had 36 discs rather the 46 in the 1985 Thom McAn set, minus the 10 players from Puerto Rico. I recently bought a lot of 10 Subway discs on eBay that was listed incorrectly as Thom McAn discs to get the Ryne Sandberg, but I noticed something on 3 of the other discs that was peculiar. The Quisenberry is green, the Sutter is pink, and the Wilson is red, while the Thom McAn Quisenberry is pink and the Thom McAn Sutter and Wilson are green. That means there at least 3 of the Subway discs that are different from the McAn discs on the front, more than likely more. I have also read that 1985 Subway discs are much more plentiful than 1985 Thom McAn discs, but I believe the opposite is true. I don't doubt that the McAn discs are more popular and sought after than the Subway discs, but the master checklist of the Thom McAn is well established with all of the discs and variations documented several times over. There are some Subway discs that as far as I know have yet to be documented and the only color variations that have been documented are the Ripken and Leonard discs, both blue and yellow. If the PSA population is to be trusted that confirms the existence of 24 of the discs, and other than Carew, Carlton, Ripken, Schmidt, and Seaver all of them have a population of 2 or less. Taking into account those 24 and the ones that I have, these have not been documented, Cooper, Cowens, Gossage, Guidry, Hargrove, and Zahn. I know that another Net54 member had a similar thread but it has been dormant for nearly six years. If anyone can supply a scan of Cooper, Cowens, Gossage, Guidry, Hargrove, and Zahn, show a scan of any Subway disc that is a different color than their Thom McAn counterpart other than Quisenberry, Sutter, and Wilson, or has scans of two color variation discs other than Leonard and Ripken please do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 85 subway quisenberry.jpg (47.5 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg 85 mcan quisenberry.jpg (76.7 KB, 526 views)
File Type: jpg 85 subway sutter.jpg (50.3 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 85 mcan sutter.jpg (77.7 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 85 subway wilson.jpg (47.9 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg 85 mcan wilson.jpg (77.7 KB, 519 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 03-17-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Grammar