View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 01:07 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
Are you getting this discount in modern? I do not collect modern so I do not know.

The premium is due to collectors willing to pay for a slab to put in registry. has nothing to do with stricter grading standards or any other mythology. I also notice that SGC cards do not sell as often and IMO the perceived PSA premium also includes a lag effect because the latest SGC sales price is not as up to date. I have not seen any discount at Heritage or REA on SGC slabs. There is so much talk around a pricing discount, but I have never been able to buy an SGC slabbed card for a discount. Perhaps this anomaly is most pronounced ultra-high valued cards? not a space I traffic in.

if anyone wants to sell me SGC 6-8s of Hall of Famers from the 50s-70s, I'll put out a standing offer to pay market rate of PSA-1 grade on new slabs. I won't hold my breath waiting for my inbox to explode.
+1. Admittedly, it is difficult to determine much in the recent market, and VCP has become less useful in the short term for anything but frequently purchased cards. But, I've been putting together a '33 Goudey graded set over the last 3 months, and my experience with these cards is that there is no PSA premium at all, Ebay, Heritage, REA, or otherwise. I often get the sense that I'm bidding against other collectors who are also buying the card & not the slab, based on prices realized. I've bought many other non-Goudey prewar cards as well and I've similarly noticed no PSA premium there either. They're all expensive!
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson