View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Tim Odeen

Default OT: Completed Restoration of 120 y.o. Heirloom China Hutch

My grandma moved out of her house in 2018. She gave the family heirloom china hutch to my father (her son). My parents told me if I wanted to restore it than I could have it. It was a wedding present to my great great grandparents in 1900 (pictured - standing back row left). It was given to my great grandfather, who kept it on his deck in Portland. After his passing, it went to his daughter, my grandma.

Through 120 years a cabinet door fell off (but it was retained). A leg cracked and was glued. And a joint came out of its trench. It was stained a darker color over the original stain and finish. And the interior display was painted beige.

I stripped, sanded, repaired in 2019 (three weeks of intermittent work). This summer I was able to apply new stain and new finish - completed hutch also pictured below (two weeks of intermittent work). I'm a school teacher, so the summer months worked out well for me to work on the project.

There will be quite a few pictures of the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boynton Fam023.jpg (71.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0(9).jpg (71.5 KB, 85 views)
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 07-17-2020 at 09:52 PM.