View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Trying to figure out what will go up in value in the future is challenging because you have to answer a two-part question: what are the items that people will want in the future, that they also don't want now (or want less now). Otherwise the items will either remain unvaluable, or remain valuable, but not significantly grow in value.

I think there are two general categories; items that are very prominent currently which experience a real changed, and items that are popular now that continue to grow.

In the latter category, I expect Jackie Robinson's legend to continue to grow. As time passes, it seems like many of the secondary characters get forgotten, but the legend around the primary characters only grows. I see that with Jackie.

Negro League collectibles are in high demand, albeit fairly niche. With the recognition of the Negro Leagues as a Major League, and additional attention on the league, I could see those growing.

An area that I think may catch on are rookie cards of vintage HOFers. Gehrig's 1925 Exhibit card blew up over the past few years and I wonder if other HOFers will as well (although at the same time, I think the number of people who know of or care about Gabby Hartnett, Al Simmons and others will likely continue to decline, so who knows...)

I remain surprised at how much cheaper programs are than tickets. I find programs so much more interesting, and wonder if the market will ever feel the same.

Finally, my personal niche of lineup cards is one that I love because of how close it is to the game. It's a rare item that actually tells the story of the game, especially when it is well-worn and marked up by the umpire or manager. I think the scarcity of any particular game makes it difficult as a primary area of collecting focus, but especially for significant games, I think there's a lot of upside.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 07-26-2022 at 07:18 PM.