View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 05:57 PM

I don't have any new additions, but I thought I'd sure with all of you some of my earlier signed SIs in my collection. These were all obtained in person, and some of the ones I had through the years before I decided I was going to go all-in with collecting these in July 2019.

The first two I got signed at a show in November 2012. The third one I got at the 2016 Cubs Convention and the fourth I got through various shows and signings through the years. Most signatures on the fourth I obtained in 2010, though I got Steve Owens, Jason White and Billy Sims at a place in Norman, Oklahoma in September 2019.

I've got some more I got TTM before I really got into this that I can share in another post.

Some statistics on my SI collection.

1. I have 83 signed total in my collection, 84 if you count an Ivan Lendl TTM that came completely destroyed in the mail.

2. Out of the ones I have signed, 19 were obtained in person. The rest were TTM returns or what I submitted as a show/private signing order.

3. I have at least one SI signed from every year of the 1970s.

4. I have at least one SI signed from every year of the 1980s except 1981, though I do own some unsigned issues I haven't gotten signed yet.

5. The first chronological signed cover in my collection is a personalized one by the late Tony Trabert, who just passed away this year. Tony was on the August 29, 1955 cover.

6. The last chronological signed cover I currently have is by DeJon Young, a high school football player in Georgia who appeared with a couple of his teammates on a late 2020 cover. I'd love to get some newer covers signed, but the stars of today aren't as accessible to me or I don't have nearly enough money for the show prices.

7. States I've gotten an SI signed in are Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Iowa, Colorado and Oklahoma. I took a road trip to Iowa in July and stayed the night in a motel for the sole purpose of meeting Bill Rodgers at a free signing out there and him signing my covers.

I will never be Scott Smith, the SI King. I don't have the money, time, resources or connections. Besides, I wouldn't want 20,000 covers signed, just one each of cover, or as many covers as I can get. I have autographs on other items by cover subjects, some of whom have since passed on. I'll turn 30 next month, and wish I had started this project sooner, but I'm loving this now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6023.jpg (79.5 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6024.jpg (63.7 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6025.jpg (73.0 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6026.jpg (73.0 KB, 291 views)