View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Wrong! Rick gets singled out because he's made aware of the shill bidding in his auctions, but does nothing about it.

How easy would it be for Rick to tell Panky that he can no longer do business with him - ban him as a bidder and as a consignor? Is it really that hard? Is that really asking too much for someone (Panky) that's been caught multiple times shilling his own auctions?

I guarantee you that if Rick would take some action when things like this are brought to his attention (and it has been brought to his attention multiple times), he would be looked upon much more favorably by most board members.
I highly doubt that. Rick isn't even the only auction house that conducts business with Panky, yet you single him out for some reason.

I cannot blame Rick for allowing Panky to consign (especially since other auction houses do the same). This guy will go anywhere else because every other auction house would gladly take him in. The only difference between Rick and the other auction houses is that Rick highlights in big bold letters that this is Panky's collection. Is there any other auction house that would do that?

David, if you had the urge to buy a card from Rick (it's a hypothetical) you would know right away if it was a Panky special or not (because it would be under "The GEM Collection") and you would avoid it. You would also be able to tell with 95% certainty whether or not you were being shilled by looking at the bid history.

Now, if you were to purchase the same card from Heritage, REA, Greg B, Mile High, Memory Lane or any other non-ebay auction house you would have no clue whether or not you were being shilled (because AH's choose to hide the bidding history from us); and you would have no clue if the card came from Panky!

Why are you not furious with all the others? It is unfair to single out the only AH that still provides us the tools we need to protect ourselves.