View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 02:05 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I'm sure many women athletes from the early days (even as recently as 1980's WBL) don't have cards unless they were team issued. I've never seen any kind of set for the league and the WBL folded after three seasons. I would imagine the National Women's Hockey League (NWHL) is similar.
There are a number of cards for the great female players - Cassie Campbell, Geraldine Heaney, Hayley Wickenheiser, Cammi Granato, Manon Rheaume. I remember the Esso Heroes of Hockey set. The cards were about 5x7 and came with a binder. When I followed the U.S. Women's national team rather religiously from 1997-2003 I would see the Classic cards pop up every so often, especially the Cammi Granato in the Providence uniform. They trained in my town, Walpole, Mass, just a mile from Gillette Stadium. One of the greatest players who does not appear to be on a card is Hockey Hall of Famer Angela Ruggerio. It is possible the Tulsa Oilers may have issued a card or postcard when she played with them.

FYI, the Patty Kazmaier Award, the women's equivalent of the Hobey Baker Award, is named after the daughter of Heisman Trophy winner Dick Kazmaier, the last Ivy Leaguer (Princeton) to win the award.

Here is a link to a site for women's hockey cards:

http://www.whockey.com/card/

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”