View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 11:22 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I have been an avid collector for decades and bought collections by the shopping bag full in the late 70's and early 80's which allowed me to complete sets from 1957 to the present day. One set I feel in love with was the '56 Topps set and in particular, the Mantle card. The Mantle was one card that always called my name but I could never pull the trigger on as I just never had the funds.

Years later, I sold the collection and worked on more modern (at that time) sets but about five years ago the '56 set called my name again and I dove in with both feet. I purchased a big chunk of Frankbmd's collection but still, the Mantle eluded me. It wasn't until another collector here on the boards, who sadly, I lost touch with and cannot recall his user name posted he found his childhood collection and he had several Mantles. We were able to come up with a deal for one of his Mantles about four years ago and I have treasured it ever since. This card has great eye appeal and a crease that really does not take away from the overall appeal of the card. This Mantle and Franks cards are the cornerstone of my '56 set.

And a side note, A month or two before we worked out the MAntle deal, I found a 2012 Heritage Mike Trout just sitting in a box that I had no idea I even had. This card was found when it was on fire so I sent it off to SGC to get graded and it came back a 10 and I promptly sold it and used the funds from this sale to purchase the MAntle. I tend to look at the Mick as the card I literally got for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Topps 135.jpg (190.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 Topps 135b.jpg (218.2 KB, 203 views)