View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 04:35 AM
M@rk Comer

Default 1970 World Series - Game 1

Day 284 (October 10, 2020 - 284)

On a Saturday, October 10, 1970, was the 1st game of the ’70 World Series between the Baltimore Orioles and the Cincinnati Reds. Both the Orioles and the Reds both won over 100 games this season; I believe the odds were about even on who would win. It was an away game at Riverfront Stadium and was the first World Series game to be played on artificial turf. I remember Brooks was asked by a reporter about playing on Astroturf for the first time before Game 1 and his reply was, “I’m a Major League third baseman. If you want to go play in a parking lot, I’m supposed to stop the ball.”

Interesting: The Jackson 5 preformed “The Star-Spangled Banner” before the game.

The pitchers for Game 1 were Gary Nolan for the Reds and Jim Palmer for the Orioles.

The Reds had a 3-0 lead on a Johnny Bench first-inning single and Lee May’s two-run homer in the third over the left field wall. Thankfully Palmer got in a groove after that home run.

The Orioles came back with a Powell two-run homer in the fourth and an Elrod Hendricks solo shot in the fifth. Brooks hits a home run in the seventh with the go ahead run and ultimately the needed run to win Game 1.

Day 284 Boog Powell Game 1 (2).jpg

Day 284 Photo 1970 MVP coming home Game 1.jpg

A very memorable play was Ty Cline, the batter, hit a chopper right in front of home plate and the play at the plate with Elrod and Carbo.

Day 284 Publication 1970 Sunday News October 11 1.jpg
Day 284 Publication 1970 Sunday News October 11.jpg

Commenting on Brooks play off of Lee May down the line throws out at first
Quote: “When you play with Brooks, you just go to the bag and hold the glove out. He’ll get the ball there, you always know that.” – Boog Powell

Harry Dalton, the Orioles GM, told Weaver after Game 1, “That’s got to be one of the 10 best plays Brooks ever made, Earl.” Weaver didn’t agree. “I’d put it in the top 100 plays,” then corrected himself. “Those hundred are only since I’ve been here.” Of course Earl joined the Baltimore Orioles in 1968. You have to love Earl Weaver…

Orioles win 4-3. The winning pitcher of Game 1 was Jim Palmer