Thread: Albert Pujols
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Home runs tonight aside, Pujols should have hung it up long ago. He’s embarrassing himself now.

The last five years, he’s been paid $110 million, and has been worth 1.0 WAR.

I don’t have his profile in front of me, but from memory, the last half decade, Pujols has been a 93 OPS+ offensive player. 7% below league average.

He was a Hall of Famer when he left St. Louis, and still is, obviously. He was on his way to being an all-time great. But he has damaged his legacy. He’s been a dumpster fire for almost the entirety of his time as an Angel. Granted, it was stupid of Los Angeles to give him the money they did. Between 2008 and 2010, he had a 184 OPS+. In 2012, at age 31, he had a noticeably decline in his last year as a Cardinal.

His first year as an Angel was still pretty good. But his decline was steady after that. His last 8 years, he’s been worth 9.4 WAR, while being paid $198 million.

He still hits home runs. That’s all he does. I understand that he’s had a lot of injuries, but sometimes, an athlete needs to know it’s time to walk away. I really like Albert, and hate seeing him like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, I stand with Ben, and say +2 -Brian Powell