View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 06:12 PM

What a day. I went back to the Chicago Sports Spectacular today and nailed some of the $10 guests they were having today.

First, I got Denny McLain on two of his four covers. I'll need the other SI from 1968 with Al Kaline, and the special 1993 edition with Bob Gibson. I saw some others in line with SIs for him. Ironically, one person had the 1993 cover and another with the other 1968 cover.

Even at a sports convention, people seem drawn to Sports Illustrateds. I was holding them out after I got them signed and walking away and people wanted to take a look. One person is another SI collector and has the 1968 cover I got signed, but not the 1970 one.

His logic was he didn't want to remind McLain of that, but I know athletes can and do reserve their right to reject items to sign at shows. If McLain doesn't object to signing it, I don't object to getting it signed. It wasn't anything personal or more than I simply want to get as many SIs signed as possible.

McLain took a while and had built a crowd.

Leon Durham was originally supposed to appear at 2:30, but then the show announced when I was waiting for McLain he'd been moved ahead to 12:30. I got my hand stamped and went out for a bit. I came back at noon, and he was at his table because he'd been moved ahead to 11:30. There was only one or two people ahead of me in line, and I was able to add his cover.

Having archived all of my SIs in chronological order, I now have 83 covers signed between 1955 and 2020.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeR (2).jpg (76.3 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5664 (1).jpg (77.6 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5671.jpg (78.0 KB, 298 views)