View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Default The Term Pre War Card

Posted By: joe brennan

After watching "Saving Private Ryan" for about the 7th time the other night the term Pre War Card (from here on PWC) came to mind.
Now I'm not getting up on a soap box but mearly sharing what came to mind and would like to share it with this board.
We use this term PWC and it means we collect cardboard from before 1941.
What hit me was why we can collect them. It is because of the brave young men who died on the beaches and every where else so we could have the freedom to persue a pastime.
I am well familar with WWII as I am a history buff so the sights of war are not new to me, just connecting BB cards and the term PWC's is.
How nonchalantly we throw around the term and until the other night I never gave it any thought of how lucky we are to be able to collect pieces of cardboard because we are a free nation.
I will never use the term PWC's again w/o thinking of the 1000's of white crosses in Europe filled with our young men that never had the chances we have.
Now, when we have a thread with ranting, bickering, name calling arguing, think about this post and concider how really trivial it is in the big picture.
To the young men from WWII, thanks for the cards.

Joe Brennan

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.